[Python-Dev] summary of transitioning from % to {} formatting

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Oct 3 19:50:20 CEST 2009

MRAB <python <at> mrabarnett.plus.com> writes:

> Another possibility:
>
> A StringFormat class with subclasses PercentStringFormat,
> BraceStringFormat, and perhaps DollarStringFormat.
>
> Or:
>
> A StringFormat class with methods parse_percent_format,
> parse_brace_format, and parse_dollar_format. There could also be a
> format-guesser method.

I'm sorry to say this, but I think these suggestions are getting foolish. We
core developers might have an interest in transitioning users from one
formatting style to another, but the users mostly don't care and don't want to
bother. Imposing on users the explicit use of such wrapper classes, moreover
with such awfully long-winded names, is not helpful to them at all, and it will
earn Python the reputation of a language which imposes silly constructs in the
name of purity.

If we can't find a way to make things almost transparent, we should IMO abandon
the whole idea of a transition.

Regards

Antoine.