[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Oct 5 10:59:41 CEST 2009

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:

> it's revews like this that makes me wonder if releasing open source is
> a good idea:
>
>    no egg - worst seen ever, remove it from pypi or provide an egg
> (jensens, 2009-10-05, 0 points)

Heh. If harsh, uninformed responses make you wonder whether it's worth
doing free software, then you're in the wrong social philanthropy
movement.

Make the software good quality, release it in the standard format (in
this case, a Distutils ‘sdist’ on PyPI), respond in a timely manner to
genuine requests for help. Eggs are certainly not a requirement, nor is
responding to hostility like the above comment.

If you *want* to respond, you can politely direct them to
<URL:http://docs.python.org/install/> where they can learn how to
install Python distributions — no mention of eggs at all.

--
 \         “What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy |
  `\   river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.” —Jack |