[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:25:47 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 10:43:22AM +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> it's revews like this that makes me wonder if releasing open source is
> a good idea:
>    no egg - worst seen ever, remove it from pypi or provide an egg
> (jensens, 2009-10-05, 0 points)

Greetings effbot. :)
As you might already know, "eggs" are not mandatory for pypi. No where
in the documentation it mentions so. Also many good packages in pypi
are not eggs (MaL's egenix packages for e.g) and we have known his
dislike for that particular format too.

But still, sometimes people have found eggs to be convenient.

That was a particularly harsh comment from jensens, should be ignored
or he should be corrected that eggs are not mandatory.

But, i have a feeling that this is going to open up the well known,
can-of-worms on what is the best distribution format for python
packages debate.

--
Senthil
No one may kill a man.  Not for any purpose.  It cannot be condoned.