[Python-Dev] [New-bugs-announce] [issue7064] Python 2.6.3 / setuptools 0.6c9: extension module builds fail with KeyError

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 5 14:50:13 CEST 2009

    Ned> Due to a change in distutils released with Python 2.6.3, packages
    Ned> that use setuptools (version 0.6c9, as of this writing), or the
    Ned> easy_install command, to build C extension modules fail ...
    Ned> Among the packages known to be affected include lxml,
    Ned> zope-interface, jinja2, and, hence, packages dependent on these
    Ned> packages (e.g. sphinx, twisted, etc.).

Maybe the Python test suite should include tests with a small number of
widely used non-core packages like setuptools.  I realize the pybots project
exists to tackle this sort of stuff in greater detail.  I'm thinking more of
a smoke test than a comprehensive test suite covering all external packages.
Setuptools is particularly important because so many extension authors use
it.  If it breaks it implicitly breaks a lot of PyPI packages.

Skip