[Python-Dev] Package install failures in 2.6.3

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Oct 5 17:44:40 CEST 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>> If, as I hope, the answer to that is "yes", then I strongly support
>> releasing a fixed setuptools instead of reverting the change to
>> Python.
>
> Yes it does.

Excellent, thanks.

> The fix makes sure build_ext.get_ext_filename still works as it is
> supposed
> (just returning the extension of a filename depending on the
> environment) under all versions,
>
> *and* continues to do extra work for the Setuptools internal needs
> when
> it is called by Setuptools itself on various places.
>
> It's two lines in Setuptools.
>
> But beware that a new Setuptools release might take a few months and
> maybe will never happen.
> That is why a suggested solution was to install Distribute, because it
> addresses among other
> bug fixes, this one.

I think we have two other choices.

2) PJE releases a new version of setuptools that fixes this problem.

3) We (a.k.a. Tarek with our blessing) hijacks the setuptools name
(e.g. on cheeseshop) and releases a new version

I still hope #2 happens, but let's have a deadline for when the more
drastic measures will be taken.

-Barry