[Python-Dev] Package install failures in 2.6.3

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Mon Oct 5 22:56:16 CEST 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> I should also mention this bug was not unknown. I discovered it
> after Distribute 0.6 was released as I always run cutting edge
> interpreters. Never bothered to report it until Distribute 0.6.1 was
> released which Tarek fixed in less than a week. I never bothered to
> report it for setuptools as I know it isn't maintained.
>
> It's probably in our best interest to just get people over to
> Distribute, let it continue to hijack setuptools, and slowly let
> that name fade out if it is going to continue to be unmaintained. I
> have to admit I find it really disheartening that we are letting an
> unmaintained project dictate how we fix a bug. I really hope this is
> a one-time deal and from this point forward we all move the
> community towards Distribute so we never feel pressured like this
> again.

Even though the bug was noticed, nobody thought that, just perhaps,
breaking other software in a minor point release might be a bad idea,
no matter whether it was updated in less-than-a-week, or mostly-
unmaintained?

Once you have an API that you encourage people to subclass, *of
course* it dictates how you can fix a bug.

James