[Python-Dev] summary of transitioning from % to {} formatting

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 10:11:37 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I also don't think this is a case of anti-TOOWTDI.  For most situations
> {}-strings are great (IMO), but in the specific translation domain, I
> suspect $-strings are still better.

I agree that keeping string.Template around is valid due to its focus on
being very simple to use (especially for non-coders producing
translation templates)

However, string.Template is already set up to work for the relevant APIs
in that domain so I don't think it will really be affected by any
changes to the underlying language and library support for brace formatting.

Cheers,
Nick.