[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Oct 6 15:18:22 CEST 2009

Chris Withers wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> We've implemented our own bdist_egg now which doesn't use setuptools
>> and will start to ship eggs in addition to our prebuilt format with
>> the next releases.
> Egg-cellent ;-)
> Any chance this tool is open source? Better yet, could it make its way
> into distutils asap?

mxSetup.py, the module implementing all our distutils extensions,
is available in egenix-mx-base which is open source:

Here's current snapshot:

or as egg

Note how the package name is mangled... easy_install requires this.
The file name also doesn't tell you that the above is for
a UCS2 Python build. Again, easy_install fails with that information
added to the "py2.6" version marker.

We're still tweaking the implementation a bit, but it's stabilizing
rather quickly.

Marc-Andre Lemburg

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 05 2009)