[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 15:28:26 CEST 2009

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> mxSetup.py, the module implementing all our distutils extensions,
> is available in egenix-mx-base which is open source:
>
> 	http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/

I have memories of mxBase having a load of other stuff in it too?

Would it be possible to split just the distutils extensions into their
own package and get that package as an sdist on PyPI?

That said, I still think getting the bdist_egg code, at least, into
Distutils in the core as soon as possible would be a very good thing.
It's kinda odd having the python equivalent of jars or gems only being
created by third party software that's no longer maintained...

 > Note how the package name is mangled... easy_install requires this.
 > The file name also doesn't tell you that the above is for
 > a UCS2 Python build. Again, easy_install fails with that information
 > added to the "py2.6" version marker.

Surely this stuff all belongs in the static metadata file that keeps on
overcomplicating itself in discussions?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk