[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 17:45:29 CEST 2009

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Would it be possible to split just the distutils extensions into their
>> own package and get that package as an sdist on PyPI?
>
> Nope.

shame :-(

> The complicated stuff does belong somewhere else, but the
> basic things need to go into the filename

But everyone's basic things are different.

> - simply because
> you have to build separate files for each Python build
> dimension and want to be able to put everything into
> a single directory or index:
>
>  * Python version
>  * Architecture/Platform
>  * UCS2/UCS4
>
> E.g. to solve the UCS2/4 part, we had to setup separate
> PyPI-style index sites. We'd really like to avoid that if
> possible.

Well yeah, and the only sane way I can think to handle this is to have a
metadata file that gets uploaded with each distribution that covers all
these things (and the other things that other people need) and then have
the index (which would hopefully be PyPI on the whole) be queryable
along the lines of "give me a download url for a distribution named X
that is for Python 2.6, Win32, UCS4, PostGreSQL 8.5, BlagBlah"...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk