[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 6 19:52:34 CEST 2009

At 03:18 PM 10/6/2009 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>Note how the package name is mangled... easy_install requires this.
>The file name also doesn't tell you that the above is for
>a UCS2 Python build. Again, easy_install fails with that information
>added to the "py2.6" version marker.

Btw, every couple years or so I've sent out a call on the
distutils-SIG to try to get consensus on a format for the platform
tag information used by setuptools.  (The first time was before
easy_install even existed.)  Unfortunately, it's rare that anybody
contributes more than criticism of the existing scheme.  The last
updates to the scheme were by Mac folks, who at least had a clear
vision of what was needed.  There's been some win32/win64 discussion
in the past, but no proposals or patches of comparable
specificity.  Linux and other unices haven't had any concrete
suggestions at all, AFAICR.

Anyway...  just saying that if you *have* a concretely implementable
proposal about what to do with platform tags, please do share on the
distutils-sig.  Platform tags are one area that's reasonably easy to
upgrade in a backward-compatible-ish way; newer versions of
easy_install can still recognize older tags, although new eggs won't
be recognized by older installers (forcing people to upgrade
setuptools in that case).