[Python-Dev] a new setuptools release?

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:56:04 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

>> That may not be as easy as it sounds; Distribute deleted various things from
>> the setuptools tree (e.g. the release.sh script, used for issuing releases)
>> and of course it adds other stuff (e.g. stuff to overwrite setuptools).  So
>> you'd need to screen the diffs.
>>
>> Second, I still intend to move setuptools 0.7 forward at some point, which
>> means the patches also need to go to the trunk.
>
> Dream on.
>
>> If I had the time to co-ordinate and supervise all this, I'd have the time
>> to just do it myself.
>
> I think at this point the community should not be forced wait for you
> to get a new supply of round tuits. The wait has been too long
> already. You can stay on in an advisory role, but I don't think it's
> reasonable to block development or decisions until you have time.

Is it possible to fork `setuptools` somehow ? This way :

  - patches may be built for setuptools 0.7 if it evolves
  - community can continue development in the «new» branch.

all this easy if a DVCS is used ;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Nabble - Trac Users - Coupling trac and symfony framework  -
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TracGViz-full/~3/hlNmupEonF0/Coupling-trac-and-symfony-framework-td25431579.html