[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Oct 6 22:17:14 CEST 2009

P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 06:03 PM 10/6/2009 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> It goes a bit in the direction of what we had in mind with writing
>> for our clients: a tool that looks at the Python installation and
>> automatically finds/downloads/installs the right package from
>> our website. Only that we wanted to put up a single index file
>> for that tool to use, not one per package.
>
> That'd get a bit big for PyPI, though, with thousands of listed
> packages.  It's already pretty slow whenever somebody miscapitalizes or
> mis-punctuates a package name and easy_install has to read the "file"
> that just lists all the package names.  That, of course, is more a
> function of the fact that PyPI's "simple" API doesn't support
> canonicalization, although I believe certain other PyPI-mirroring and
> package indexing apps do.

The above was only meant for our eGenix packages, not PyPI.

For PyPI the natural answer to this is to use the already existing
PyPI XML-RPC interface:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPiXmlRpc

This would only have to grow a few more fields for the release
downloads in order to be able to match the user's Python configuration
to the available release downloads.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 05 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/