[Python-Dev] a new setuptools release?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 6 23:17:33 CEST 2009

At 01:14 PM 10/6/2009 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>suggest nobody hold their breath waiting for setuptools 0.7.

I've never suggested or implied otherwise.

But, if you like Distribute so much, why not just add it directly to
the stdlib?  ;-)

AFAIK, the only reason they've had multiple releases of it is to
address the issues with its hijacking of setuptools; in a stdlib
version all that stuff could be dropped.  Otherwise, it'd already be "mature".

There are many wins to be had from such a move, not the least of
which is that it allows something to go into the stdlib that isn't
(branding-wise) associated with me or setuptools, and lets it become
owned/supported by an even wider community.

Less political bickering, and the some of the technical results I
hoped for all along are achieved.  Yay, open source.