[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Oct 7 07:04:17 CEST 2009

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 13:52:34 -0400, "P.J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com>
wrote:
> Btw, every couple years or so I've sent out a call on the
> distutils-SIG to try to get consensus on a format for the platform
> tag information used by setuptools.  (The first time was before
> easy_install even existed.)  Unfortunately, it's rare that anybody
> contributes more than criticism of the existing scheme.  The last
> updates to the scheme were by Mac folks, who at least had a clear
> vision of what was needed.  There's been some win32/win64 discussion
> in the past, but no proposals or patches of comparable
> specificity.

Consider the fact that Mac users won't answer or discuss posts by some
windows users..

Why do this ? Why stir up platform bias?

Fact is Phil, windows users get *turned-away* at the door in
distutils... or ignored. Issues can hang around for years.

And your post is now asking "why no windows users?"

Go figure.. nobody answers them or takes issues seriously.

Distutils for windows is very, very dead.. grave-ware in-fact.

It should be quite obvious that windows users are forked off..

Why would windows people make proposals when they know it
won't go anywhere...

David