[Python-Dev] a new setuptools release?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Oct 7 21:38:20 CEST 2009

P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 07:27 PM 10/7/2009 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Having more competition will also help, e.g. ActiveState's PyPM looks
>> promising (provided they choose to open-source it) and then there's
>> pip.
>
> Note that both PyPM and pip use setuptools as an important piece of
> their implementation (as does buildout), so they are technically the
> competition of easy_install, rather than setuptools per se.
>
> IOW, putting setuptools in the stdlib wouldn't be declaring a victor
> in the installation tools competition, it'd simply be providing
> infrastructure for (present and future) tools to build on.

I'd like to see PEP 370 (user site-packages folders) compatibility as a
pre-condition of moving Distribute (or components of it) into the
standard library.

There are some issues around PEP 370 for alternative implementations
that I'd like to address as a compatibility fix for Python 2.6 as well. :-)

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog