[Python-Dev] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some?words?on Virtualenv, Pip)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 20:40:03 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 04:28:52PM +0000, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > This is needing to install multiple versions and use the newly installed
> > version for testing.
> [...]
>
> What you're missing is that having separate environments has a virtue of
> cleanliness, understandability and robustness that a multiple-versioned solution
> doesn't have. While the technical merits are debatable I'm sure some people
> definitely prefer to manage a virtualenv-based version.

I'm not missing it.  I'm only saying that the precise requirement that is
being stated is not sandboxing (that was listed later).  It's being able to
use a newly installed library for testing.  The essential element of that is
being able to install a new version of the library and use that instead of
the sytem installed version.  sandboxing may be how someone wants to do this
but it isn't essential to be able to do this.

-Toshio