[Python-Dev] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some words on Virtualenv, Pip)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Oct 9 00:01:22 CEST 2009

In article <loom.20091008T233831-780 at post.gmane.org>,
 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Ned Deily <nad <at> acm.org> writes:
> > How to decide on and then effectively
> > communicate that direction is not at all trivial, I think.
>
> I think it's quite trivial actually. Since everybody agrees (except perhaps
> PJE)
> that Distribute should replace setuptools, the word will spread and trickle
> quite quickly in the various layers of the community.
>
> If you look at the XFree86 -> XOrg transition, I don't think there have been
> lot of problems to bring people to understand the change.

I'm not sure that's a such a good example: some of the impacts of that
transition are still affecting users.

The unspoken assumption here is that it is a good idea to make this
transition as painless as possible within some unspecified limits of
practicality.  Sure, at one end of the spectrum, you can just throw
things out in the world and hope for the best.  I think the Python
community has a well-deserved reputation for doing a lot better than
that.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org