[Python-Dev] eggs now mandatory for pypi?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Oct 9 10:20:54 CEST 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 09:35:57 +0200, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>> One could say that much of the setuptools cloud came about because of
>>> the lack of the queryable download url. Setuptools does a lot of work
>>> here to 'work-around' the ommission on pypi of a package download url.
>>
>> I think you two have missed my email to PJE.
>>
>> In summary:
>>
>> PyPI already does have mechanism for querying download URLs.
>>
>> 	http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPiXmlRpc
>>
>> It only lacks some more meta-data that would be required to
>> match up the user's configuration with the one used in the
>> uploaded URLs.
>>
>> And it would be handy to have a mechanism to just upload the
>> URL data rather than the whole package. Looking at distutils'
>> upload command, PyPI currently appears to only support uploads
>> of the package file itself.
>>
>> Basically, most of the mechnisms are already there, they just need
>> some extra care.
>
> Maybe you're right. I'll look into it.
>
>> BTW: Who would I need to contact for the PyPI side to work out
>> an upload_url distutils command ?
>
> pypi is on sourceforge... ask to become a developer I guess..

I know that the issue tracker for PyPI is (still) on SF, but
development appear to happen elsewhere and I can't find any
contact information on the PyPI web pages.

Is Richard Jones still working on it ? They I could contact him
directly to hash this out.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 09 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/