[Python-Dev] BDFL pronouncement?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Oct 9 17:33:35 CEST 2009

Chris Withers <chris <at> simplistix.co.uk> writes:

> Well, if this was the BDFL pronouncement that a lot of people have taken
> it to be, does that allow Martin von Lewis to give the keys to
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools to the "distribute" developers,
> so we can get on and use the original "setuptools" name without all the
> confusion and hackery needed to make "distribute" work?

Er, perhaps this is a bit brutal? I don't think the BDFL has a right of life and
death over third-party packages.

I mean, we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune, aren't we?

  WOMAN:  Who are the Britons?
  ARTHUR:  Well, we all are. we're all Britons and I am your king.
  WOMAN:  I didn't know we had a king.  I thought we were an autonomous
      collective.
  DENNIS:  You're fooling yourself.  We're living in a dictatorship.
      A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
  [snip]

Regards

Antoine.

PS :

> PS: I had thought that MvL couldn't help because of ez_setup.py, but
> it's only buildout that appears foolish enough to have a hardcoded
> download of:

Some projects also have an SVN "externals" pointing to the setuptools SVN
repository, as described here:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/doc/ez_setup/index.html