[Python-Dev] no consensus on static metadata

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:45:31 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

>> So I am adding this in Distutils for 2.7.
>
> NB: There was no consensus on this "micro-language" on distutils-sig.
> While I suspect I don't care as none of my packages rely on anything other
> than other python packages, others did care, and I found the syntax Tarek
> was proposing pretty clumsy.

Please no bikeshedding again on the syntax. "consensus" doesn't
mean that you agreed on the syntax.

As I said to MAL, a PEP will be written with the precise syntax, and you will
be able to make your voice heard on **Distutils-SIG**, even participate to it.

But at the end, a syntax will be added.

> Does the PEP386 or the changes you're proposing for PEP314 cater for the
> extra_requires stuff in setuptools? I know I use that quite heavily and I'm
> not the only one...

Let's open a thread on Distutils-SIG about PEP 314 planned changes.

Tarek.