[Python-Dev] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some words on Virtualenv, Pip)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Oct 9 18:49:23 CEST 2009

Ian Bicking wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> http://pip.openplans.org/#differences-from-easy-install
>>>
>>> If it's obsolete the website should be updated...
>>>
>> Specifically, combine "only installs from source" with "might not work
>> on Windows" and the result is pretty certainly unusable for C
>> extensions on Windows. You can pretty much guarantee that the average
>> user on Windows won't have a C compiler[1], and even if they do, they
>> won't be able to carefully line up all the 3rd party C libraries
>> needed to build some extensions.
>>
>> Binary packages are essential on Windows.
>>

> I'll admit I have some blindness when it comes to Windows.  I agree
> binary installation on Windows is important.  (I don't think it's very
> important on other platforms, or at least not very effective in
> easy_install so it wouldn't be a regression.)
>
> I note some other differences in that document:
>

>> It cannot install from eggs. It only installs from source. (Maybe this will be changed sometime, but it’s low priority.)
>>

> Outside of binaries on Windows, I'm still unsure if installing eggs
> serves a useful purpose.  I'm not sure if eggs are any better than
> wininst binaries either...?

Many Windows users would be quite happy if the standard mechanism for
installing non-source distributions on Windows was via the wininst binaries.

I wonder if it is going to be possible to make this compatible with the
upcoming distutils package management 'stuff' (querying for installed
packages, uninstallation etc) since installation/uninstallation goes
through the Windows system package management feature.  I guess it would
be eminently possible but require some reasonably high level Windows-fu
to do.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/