[Python-Dev] BDFL pronouncement?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Oct 9 19:57:57 CEST 2009

Chris Withers <chris <at> simplistix.co.uk> writes:

> *sigh* I don't see it as hijacking, provided Guido is making a BDFL
> pronouncement that you're maintaining this software

Well, what you are proposing *is* hijacking. PJE is not paid or employed by
Guido, he is the full author of setuptools. Forking is of course fine (this is
free software), but saying "I overthrow you as the maintainer of this software"
is not.

While you (and I) may be unsatisfied with PJE's maintenance style, personal
(dis)affection should not be what motivates our decisions. A piece of software
has an author who has some moral rights on it, and should be treated with
respect. After all, when an author decides to release code under a free license,
it shows a fair amount of trust and respect towards the user; it is only fair
that the user shows the same amount of trust and respect (*).

(*) it has happened that some users don't, and in that case the author's
reaction can be violent. For example, Nessus became proprietary:
http://news.cnet.com/Nessus-security-tool-closes-its-source/2100-7344_3-5890093.html

Regards

Antoine.