[Python-Dev] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some words on Virtualenv, Pip)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 18:52:24 CEST 2009

2009/10/9 Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>:
> Many Windows users would be quite happy if the standard mechanism for
> installing non-source distributions on Windows was via the wininst binaries.

+1 I'm one of those people.

> I wonder if it is going to be possible to make this compatible with the
> upcoming distutils package management 'stuff' (querying for installed
> packages, uninstallation etc) since installation/uninstallation goes through
> the Windows system package management feature.  I guess it would be
> eminently possible but require some reasonably high level Windows-fu to do.

I am working with Tarek to keep Windows issues (and in particular this
one) on the agenda. It's quite hard at times, as getting a
representative sample of Windows users' preferences/requirements is
difficult at best (Windows users seem as a group to be either very
quiet, or very easy to please. I'm an exception :-))

If any Windows users want to speak up and help, that would be
immensely useful! (And please, identify yourself as such - it's often
hard to determine who knows Windows, and who is a Unix user making
assumptions or best guesses).

Paul.