[Python-Dev] Backport new float repr to Python 2.7?

Michael Sparks sparks.m at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 23:35:56 CEST 2009

On Sunday 11 October 2009 21:00:41 Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> with all the
> dependency-migration issues 3.x could definitely use some carrots.
..
> everybody's favorate bugaboo, multicore parallelism.

I know it's the upteen-thousandth time it's been discussed, but
removal of the GIL in 3.x would probably be pretty big carrots for
some. I know the arguments about performance hits on single core
systems etc, and the simplifications it brings, but given every entry
level machine these days is multicore, is it time to reconsider some
of those points ? Not here perhaps - python-ideas or c.l.p, but if
bigger carrots are wanted... Just saying. (As time goes on, lack of a
GIL in Ironpython makes it more attractive for multicore work)

Not suggesting this happens, but just noting it would probably be a big carrot.

Michael.
--
http://yeoldeclue.com/blog
http://twitter.com/kamaelian