[Python-Dev] PEP about sys.implementation and implementation specific user site directory

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Oct 12 02:40:56 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Frank Wierzbicki <fwierzbicki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> So I propose that the python.org version is identified as "python".

> I'll add my voice to the group that likes "cpython" and "CPython" as
> the identifier of the python.org implementation.  This version has a
> long history, and "Classic Python" has a nice sound to it.  :)

Regardless of the history, "CPython" is indeed how most people refer
to this implementation *whenever the distinction matters*, so in a
variable used to identify the implementation this makes sense to me,
even though most people most of the time don't make this distinction.
I'm not worried about other implementations written in C aspiring to
the name CPython.

> -- also
> I hope (but won't hold my breath) that Python becomes more associated
> with the abstract language in time.

Me too (on both accounts :-).