[Python-Dev] Bug 7183 and Python 2.6.4

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Oct 22 19:01:02 CEST 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/22 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:
>>> So does anybody else think bug 7183 should be a release blocker
>>> for 2.6.4
>>> final, or is even a legitimate but that we need to fix?
>>
>> I think it cannot hold up a release with out a reproducible code
>> snippet.
>
> It may not be reproducible in standard Python, see David's follow up
> to the issue.  If that holds true and we can't reproduce it, I agree
> we should not hold up the release for this.

 >>> class Foo(property):
...  __slots__=[]
 >>> x=Foo()
 >>> x.__doc__ = "asdf"
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'Foo' object attribute '__doc__' is read-only

You can't add arbitrary attributes to instances, since some instances
don't have the slot to put them in.

Is that an equivalent demonstration to that which boost runs into?
(except, it's using a C type not a python type).

James