[Python-Dev] language summit topic: issue tracker

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 23 15:00:25 CEST 2009

    Brett> Another summit, another potential time to see if people want to
    Brett> change anything about the issue tracker.

I have no idea how hard this would be to implement and won't be at the
language summit to formally present the idea, but it seems to me that some
integration between the issue tracker and Rietveld would be beneficial.  If
someone attaches a patch to an issue the current next step is essentially a
code review without the benefits provided by a code review tool.  I'd
envision a bit of workflow like this:

    * A patch is attached to an issue.
    * The user clicks the "Create Review" button.  (Maybe not all patches
      require review?)
    * This generates a review request in Rietveld with all on the nosy list
      invited as reviewers.  (Or should this be a side effect of attaching a
      patch?)
    * The "needs review" keyword is added to the selected keywords.
    * A link to the review request is added as a comment to the issue so
      other people not on the nosy list can evaluate the patch.
    * If an updated diff is uploaded the review request would be updated.
      That might necessitate adding a "Replace Patch" button next to all
      uploaded patches instead of adding a new one then deleting a previous
      one.

Skip