[Python-Dev] First shot at some_set.get()

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Oct 24 16:20:37 CEST 2009

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 05:04:33 pm Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano writes:
>
>  > I'm not being tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic. My question was
> serious -- > if there is a moratorium, is there any reason to bother
> submitting > patches for functional changes to built-ins?
>
> Yes.  Python is open source.  Private and public forks are possible
> and (at least in principle) encouraged where the core project decides
> that the proposed changes are inappropriate (or should be deferred,
> as here).  Nevertheless, isn't the core Python project the obvious
> common point of contact for sharing such ideas, even if there is a
> moratorium on the code base itself?

No.

It's not obvious to me that the CPython tracker is the right place for
patches for implementations that aren't for CPython.

It's not even obvious that there would be a common point of contact for
private and public forks, let alone that it would be CPython's tracker.
There are, by my count, 14 active and defunct implementations of Python
to date, apart from CPython itself. How many of them currently use the
CPython tracker to share patches? If the answer is "None", why would
you expect future implementations and forks to be any different?

--
Steven D'Aprano