[Python-Dev] Possible language summit topic: buildbots

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 20:19:05 CET 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> I've been trying to get some feedback about firing up buildbots on
>> Cloud
>> Servers for a while now and haven't had much luck.  I'd love to
>> find a
>> way of having buildbots come to life, report to the mother ship, do
>> the
>> build, then go away 'till next time they're required.
>
> I'm not quite sure whom you have been trying to get feedback from, and
> can't quite picture your proposed setup from above description.

I posted a couple of messages on testing-in-python, and have sent
around some queries to others that I know are using buildbot type
setups with various tools/platforms, not necessarily Python.

> In any case, ISTM that your approach isn't compatible with how
> buildbot
> works today (not sure whether you are aware of that): a build slave
> needs to stay connected all the time, so that the build master can
> trigger a build when necessary.
>
> So if your setup requires the slaves to shut down after a build, I
> don't
> think this can possibly work.

It can't possibly work within the way the Python buildbot structure
currently works, as I understand it so far.

What I'm implementing is less of a 'continuous integration' tool like
you would use for something like Python itself, and more of a testing
tool for things that have to be installed on multiple versions of
Python, on multiple platforms.

I don't need to know that it works on every checkin, just every once
in a while I'd like to start from scratch and make sure everything
still works on all supported versions of Python on all the platforms I
test on and cloud servers are great for this since I'll usually only
need them for an hour or so.