[Python-Dev] Set methods for mapping views

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 08:00:44 CET 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:09:14 am Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> wrote:
>>> Was it?
>> No.
>
> I thought it had been. My mistake. Serves me right for not checking the
> PEP first. But my point still stands.

Rather than going through and saying "oh, change X touches on area Y,
where we're waiting to see how change Z plays out, so we shouldn't do X
yet" it is simpler to declare the core of the language off limits for a
release or two.

We made a lot of big changes to fairly core parts of the language in a
relatively short period. Giving those a chance to settle down before we
start fiddling further is unlikely to be detrimental in the long run.

Cheers,
Nick.