[Python-Dev] nonlocal keyword in 2.x?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:23:36 CET 2009

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> 2009/10/28 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
>> <skip <at> pobox.com> writes:
>>>     >> So 2.7 support will for the most part be a case not of supporting
>>>     >> Python versions, but Python *users*.
>>>
>>>     Antoine> That's still not a good reason to backport nonlocal. The same
>>>     Antoine> reasoning could be used to backport new features to the 2.6
>>>     Antoine> branch after all.
>>>
>>> No, because 2.6 is in feature freeze (bug fixes only).  2.7 is the current
>>> version of 2.x where new features are allowed to be added.
>> That was precisely my point.
>
> Then I don't understand what you are saying. Obviously we shouldn't
> backport to the 2.6 branch, it's in bugfix mode. This is about 2.7. I
> don't see what 2.6 has to do with it.
>
>> There are development practices which mitigate the
>> idea that backporting is always helpful to the user.
>
> And those are?

You said it above yourself: "bugfix mode"

That's all Antoine's point was - backporting of new features to previous
branches is not automatically a good idea.

In the case of 3.2 -> 2.7 backports, there are issues with the initial
development time investment to do the backport, future double-keying of
additional maintenance issues, consideration of possible poor
interaction with legacy features in the 2.x series. It's a bunch of
additional work that isn't going to happen without someone volunteering
to do it.

Cheers,
Nick.