[Python-Dev] "Buildbot" category on the tracker

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 30 09:53:19 CET 2009

Jesse Noller wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 8:31 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd say that particular one is a bug in the tests.  If /dev/shm is
>> not available and is required, then the tests should be skipped with
>> an appropriate message.  It would also secondarily be an issue with
>> the buildbot fleet, since multiprocessing would then not be getting
>> thoroughly tested by those buildbots.
>
> Fwiw: The tests skip on those platforms; but multiprocessing can't
> function properly on platforms like that.

I'm confused: first you said they fail, now you say they get skipped.
Which one is it? I agree with R. David's analysis: if they fail, it's
a multiprocessing bug, if they get skipped, it's a flaw in the build
slave configuration (but perhaps only slightly so, because it is good
if both cases are tested - and we do have machines also that provide
/dev/shm).

Regards,
Martin