[Python-Dev] how important is setting co_filename for a module being imported to what __file__ is set to?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Sep 1 00:12:43 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 15:06, P.J. Eby<pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 02:57 PM 8/31/2009 -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>
>> Ignoring that 'new' is not in Python 3.x (luckily 'types' is), I want
>> a proper solution that doesn't require reconstructing every code
>> object that I happen to import.
>
> Practicality beats purity.  ;-)  (Especially if it allows importlib to run
> on older Pythons.)

I don't care about making importlib run on older versions of Python
before 3.1. And this is a minor enough thing that I am not worried
about missing in Python 3.1.

> Also, surely you're not worried about *performance* here?

I do care about performance to an extent, but that is not the primary
motivating factor to wanting to go with the marshal API change.

-Brett