[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 02:30:16 CEST 2009

On 30/08/2009 9:37 PM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> Mark Hammond<skippy.hammond at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> 1) I've stalled on the 'none:' patch I promised to resurrect.  While
>> doing this, I re-discovered that the tests for win32text appear to
>> check win32 line endings are used by win32text on *all* platforms, not
>> just Windows.
>
> I think it is only Patrick Mezard who knows how to run (parts of) the
> test suite on Windows.
>
>> I asked for advice from Dirkjan who referred me to the mercurual-devel
>> list, but my request of slightly over a week ago remains unanswered
>> (http://selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial-devel/2009-August/014873.html)
>> -
>> maybe I just need to be more patient...
>
> Oh no, that's usually the wrong tactic :-) I've been too busy for real
> Mercurial work the last couple of weeks, but you should not feel bad
> about poking us if you don't get a reply. Or come to the IRC channel
> (#mercurial on irc.freenode.net) where Dirkjan (djc) and myself (mg)
> hang out when it's daytime in Europe.

To be fair, I did mail Dirkjan directly who referred me to the -develop
list, which I did with a CC to him and a private mail asking for some
help should the mail fall on deaf ears as I feared it would.  There
really is only so far I'm willing to poke and prod people when I'm well
aware we are all volunteers.

>> Further, Martin's comments in this thread indicate he believes a new
>> extension will be necessary rather than 'fixing' win32text.  If this
>> is the direction we take, it may mean the none: patch, which targets
>> the implementation of win32text, is no longer necessary anyway.
>
> I suggested a new extension for two reasons:

Thanks, and that does indeed sound excellent.  However, this is going a
fair way beyond the original scope I signed up for.  While I was willing
to help implement some new features into an existing extension, taking
on the design and implementation of an entire new extension is something
I'm not willing to undertake.  I don't think such an extension should
even come from the Python community or it will end up being a
python-only extension - or at best, will need to run the gauntlet of 2
bike-shedding sessions from both the Python and hg communities which
will waste much time.

What is the hope of an EOL extension which meets our requirements coming
directly out of the hg community?  If that hope is small, where does
that leave us?

Cheers,

Mark