[Python-Dev] hgeol extension (Was: Mercurial migration: help needed)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 5 16:18:02 CEST 2009

> Can anyone (re-) post the specification of the proposed extension, to
> the level that it is currently defined?

For reference, here are the original specification, mine and Martin
Geisler's:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-August/090984.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-August/091453.html

Here is my attempt at summarizing it:

- name of versioned configuration file (in root of tree): .hgeol
- names of conversion modes: native, LF, CRLF
In the configuration file, there is a section [patterns] which
maps file name patterns to conversion modes, e.g.

[patterns]
**.txt = native
**.py = native
**.dsp = CRLF
**.bat = CRLF
Tools/bgen/README = native
Lib/email/test/data/msg_26.txt = CRLF

- Martin Geisler also proposes that there is a section
[repository]
native = <conversionmode>
I personally feel YAGNI; it should only support LF (adding such
a feature later may be considered)

Open issues:
- name of extension
- what should happen if the file on disk doesn't have the "expected"
line endings, or mixed line endings? E.g. a file declared as native
"should" have CRLF on Windows - what if it doesn't, on commit?
My proposal: do what svn does (whatever that is).

That's it, AFAICT. Martin Geisler also discussed something that
I read as an implementation strategy, by mapping the patterns to
into the (apparently existing) encode/decode configuration setting.

HTH,
Martin

P.S. If you decide that you will or will not work on it, please let
us know.