[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 5 16:26:36 CEST 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> I'm starting to wonder what the problem really is that makes it so
>> Python-specific. If I understood correctly, it's about a couple of files which
>> must be stored using non-Unix line endings, right? (in the PC and PCbuild
>> directories?)
>
> No. It's about files that must, when checked out on Windows, have CRLF
> endings, and, when checked out on Unix, have LF endings - i.e. all the
> .py, .c, .h, and .rst files, plus a couple of others which don't require
> specific treatment.
>
> IOW, it's about the default behavior, and the majority of new files.

FWIW, I had the same impression as Antoine. I am aware that 'stupid'pad
requires /r/n, but do IDLE and other editors (on Windows) that people
would actually use to create/edit such files? I would personally be
willing to install a notepad replacement if needed to quickview such files.

If essentially all text files need fixed line endings on Windows, then
hg really needs this built in. Has it really not been used much on Windows?

tjr