[Python-Dev] hgeol extension (Was: Mercurial migration: help needed)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 6 00:35:26 CEST 2009

> Right, but I am just thinking about how we specify in .hgeols what the
> repository is expected to be as this extension might work out nicely
> for other projects who prefer CLRF as their repo-native line ending.

This is what I refer to as YAGNI. Subversion has LF as the internal
storage, and, IIRC, so does CVS. I don't think there is any precedence
for wanting something else - and frankly, I can't see how repository
storage would matter.

>> You are mostly right that the committer name would be the same
>> (except when the committer was pushing some changes pulled from
>> the actual contributor), however, I still see these whitespace-only
>> changes as a complication.
>
> It's unfortunate, but I see it as a rare occurrence as it would only
> happen if someone got sloppy. And it should typically get caught
> client-side before the commit ever occurs, minimizing the
> whitespace-only commits even more.

It would, of course, be possible to ban them altogether, at the expense
of users having to replay changes.

Regards,
Martin