[Python-Dev] clarification on PEP 3124 status

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 16:14:32 CEST 2009

Hi Martin,

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 2:29 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Could somebody please clarify the status of PEP 3124? At
>> http://ftp.python.org/dev/peps/ , it is listed as "under
>> consideration", but http://ftp.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3124/ says it
>> has been deferred.
>
> This isn't really contradictory. "under consideration" means "in
> progress": it has neither been accepted or rejected.
>
> If Phillip doesn't respond here, you may want to ask him directly.
> My impression is that it is deferred because nobody is pursuing it
> actively (including Phillip Eby). It's common for a PEP to be in that
> state for several years, "deferred" then is an indication that readers
> shouldn't expect a resolution in short term.

That is why I asked, I wondered if it is being actively considered and
pursued, or if it had been deferred or worse abandoned.

> That said: my personal feeling is that this PEP is way too large, and
> should be broken into seperate pieces of functionality that can be
> considered independently. There is a lot of stuff in it that isn't
> strictly necessary to provide the feature listed in the rationale.

It would be nice to have a suitable foundation upon which more
elaborate third party dispatchers could build. The potential generic
functions have in a project like numpy are pretty exciting.

Darren