[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 review.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Sep 16 10:00:21 CEST 2009

>>> I don't see any valid reason for entering a network as
>>> "" rather
>>> than the canonical "". The former might indicate a
>>> typing error
>>> or
>>> a mental slip, so let's be helpful and signal it to the user.
>> Or perhaps there can be an optional "strict=True" (or "strict=False")
>> argument
>> to the constructor / parsing function.
> If so, I hope that we'd default to strict=True.

I don't see the point of enforcing strictness here. There are good use
cases: if you know your address is, how do you compute
what you should spell for It's very easy to make a
mistake here, and doing the computation in your head is really not
something that should be necessary, given that a computer can get it
correct easily.