[Python-Dev] Python 2.6.3

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Sep 16 22:28:34 CEST 2009

On 16 Sep, 2009, at 14:52, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>> The IDLE issue is IMHO a release blocker, as is issue 6851.
>
> So that leaves 4 release blockers for 2.6.3.  Three of these are
> assigned to Ronald.  Ronald are you sure you will have time to fix
> these by then?  The one I'm still uncertain on is the IDLE hang.  If
> this only affects OS X 10.6 and there is no progress on it by the
> time 2.6.3 is otherwise ready, I'm willing to knock this down in
> severity.

I don't know for sure if I'll be able to fix these issues, I'll
basicly just have time to work on this during the weekend.

* IDLE hang on OSX 10.6:   I don't really know where to start looking,
this may have something to do with Tk-Cocoa (which is used on 10.6 and
not on earlier releases). There is a patch for Tk-Cocoa support on the
tracker, but I haven't had time yet to fully test that.

* Compile error for ctypes on 10.6: Should be easy to fix. Apple has
released the sources of the copy of libffi included with 10.6.1, I'll
use that to work on a patch.

* Crash with urllib and threads on OSX 10.6: This probably requires
rewriting some code using ctypes in C. The crash seems to occur when
CoreFoundation tries to initialise itself after being loaded on a
secondairy thread by ctypes. To make matters worse the ctypes type
annotations in urllib are not correct for 64-bit code (but the crash
happens in 32-bit mode as well)

Ronald