[Python-Dev] conceptual clarity

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:32:49 CEST 2009

Eric Smith wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>> As it is, -1 from me. Either we only keep two concepts (Address and
>>  Network), or if we introduce a third one (AddressWithMask,
>> whatever) for added practicality; but we shouldn't blur the line
>> between the two former canonical concepts under the pretext that a
>> platypus-like Address might be helpful in some particular
>> situations.
>
> I completely agree with this. By keeping the concepts distinct we can
>  catch mis-uses earlier. If needed, convenience functions (or
> classes, or whatever) could be layered on top. But the underlying
> concepts need to be clear.

That would be my view as well (this includes getting rid of the current
duality of IPNetwork by dropping the ip property, only accepting the
network address in the normal constructor and having a separate
constructor that allows a network object to be created from an arbitrary
  host address and a netmask)

Is-a-2.x-str-a-sequence-of-ASCII-characters-or-a-chunk-of-binary-data?'ly,
Nick.