[Python-Dev] re.Scanner and string.Template

nathan binkert nate at binkert.org
Thu Sep 17 17:31:54 CEST 2009

I've been working on code that works a lot like string.Template and in
the process, I stumbled on re.Scanner.  I have two questions.
1) Is re.Scanner ever going to be official?  Can I count on it being
in future versions of python?  It's been there for a really long time,
so I assume so, but something that's undocumented seems that it could
be dropped easily.
2) Is there a reason that string.Template doesn't use re.Scanner?  My
understanding of re.Scanner is that it is exactly what you want for
something like string.Template.

Thanks,

  Nate Binkert