[Python-Dev] POSIX [Fuzziness in io module specs]

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Sep 19 02:58:08 CEST 2009

Le Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:19:53 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull a écrit :
> Antoine Pitrou writes:
>  > James Y Knight <foom <at> fuhm.net> writes:
>  > >
>  > > Why are you just making things up? There is a *vast* amount of
>  > > precedent for how file operations should work. Python should follow
>  > > that precedent and do like POSIX unless there's a compelling reason
>  > > not to.
>  >
>  > Actually, Python is cross-platform and therefore does not necessarily
>  > follow POSIX behaviour, especially when it is desired to hide
>  > inconsistencies between different platform.
>
> That's what *James* said, except that I prefer his standard,

I don't believe that POSIX compliance is a sufficient argument to ask
someone to shut up in the discussion of a cross-platform API. Which is
more or less what James' answer was trying to do. So, no, not exactly the
same thing that I said.

> believe POSIX documentation to be more accessible to a variety of Python
> developers than other system's, and it's better documented: rationales
> are included, history is available, etc.

I'm not sure that's true. Various Unix/Linux man pages are readily
available on the Internet, but they regard specific implementations,
which often depart from the spec in one way or another. POSIX specs
themselves don't seem to be easily reachable; you might even have to pay
for them.

cheers

Antoine.