[Python-Dev] POSIX [Fuzziness in io module specs]

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 19 13:09:40 CEST 2009

>> believe POSIX documentation to be more accessible to a variety of Python
>> developers than other system's, and it's better documented: rationales
>> are included, history is available, etc.
>
> I'm not sure that's true. Various Unix/Linux man pages are readily
> available on the Internet, but they regard specific implementations,
> which often depart from the spec in one way or another. POSIX specs
> themselves don't seem to be easily reachable; you might even have to pay
> for them.

Then please rest assured that it actually *is* true:
- the Linux man pages are often a literal copy of the POSIX man pages,
  so when you look at a Linux man page, there is a good chance that it
  either is the wording of the POSIX spec, or points out what details
  are specific to POSIX.
- The Open Group publishes POSIX free of charge, and these days also
  free of registration.
- these days, specific implementations typically do *not* deviate from
  POSIX. Some provide additional features, but in a way that does not
  harm compatibility.

Regards,
Martin