[Python-Dev] please consider changing --enable-unicode default to ucs4

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Sep 20 16:27:18 CEST 2009

Zooko O'Whielacronx <zookog <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Users occasionally get binaries built for a
> compatible Linux and Python version but with a different UCS2-vs-UCS4 setting,
> and those users get mysterious memory corruption errors which are hard to
> diagnose.

What "binaries" are you talking about?
AFAIK, C extensions should fail loading when they have the wrong UCS2/4 setting.
That's the reason we have all those #define's in unicodeobject.h: the actual
function names end up being different and, therefore, are not found when linking.

> In order to help address this issue I sampled what UCS size is used by python
> executables in the wild.

For information, all Mandriva versions I've used until now have had their
Python's built with UCS2 (maxunicode == 65535).

Regards

Antoine.