[Python-Dev] operator precedence of __eq__, __ne__, etc, if both object have implementations

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:04:41 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:43 PM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    Dino> For IronPython we wrote a set of tests which go through and define
>    Dino> the various operator methods in all sorts of combinations on both
>    Dino> new-style and old-style classes as well as subclasses of those
>    Dino> classes and then do the comparisons w/ logging.
>
> It would be very nice if these complex corner cases had a set of test
> cases which could be run by all implementations (CPython, Jython,
> IronPython, PyPy, etc).  I don't know.  Maybe the CPython test suite serves
> that purpose, but it seems like it would be helpful if this sort of
> "validation suite" was maintained as a separate project all implementations
> could use and contribute to.
Talk has started up again on the stdlib-sig list about finding a core
stdlib + tests that can be shared by all implementations, potentially
living apart from CPython.  I have volunteered to put together a PEP
on the subject, with Jessie Noller and Brett Canon are helping me out.
 When I have something worth showing, I'll start the real PEP process.

-Frank