[Python-Dev] operator precedence of __eq__, __ne__, etc, if both object have implementations

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 23 17:54:35 CEST 2009

Skip wrote:
>     Dino> For IronPython we wrote a set of tests which go through and define
>     Dino> the various operator methods in all sorts of combinations on both
>     Dino> new-style and old-style classes as well as subclasses of those
>     Dino> classes and then do the comparisons w/ logging.
>
> It would be very nice if these complex corner cases had a set of test
> cases which could be run by all implementations (CPython, Jython,
> IronPython, PyPy, etc).  I don't know.  Maybe the CPython test suite serves
> that purpose, but it seems like it would be helpful if this sort of
> "validation suite" was maintained as a separate project all implementations
> could use and contribute to.

We are going to start contributing tests back real soon now.  I'm not sure
that these are the best tests to contribute as they require a version of
Python to compare against rather than being nice and stand alone.  But I'm
sure we have other tests which cover this as well just not as exhaustively.
We could also possibly check in the baseline file and then CPython could
compare it's self to previous versions but it'd probably be a pretty
big file - so it probably shouldn't be included in the standard install
in the tests directory.