[Python-Dev] thinking about 2.7

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 23 20:03:37 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:35, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I've started plotting the release of 2.7. I'd like to try for a final
> release mid next summer. 3.2 should be released, if not at the same
> time as 2.7, within a few weeks to avoid 2.x having features which 3.x
> doesn't. If no one has problems with this, I will draft a schedule.

Yes. Does this mean you are volunteering to be the 3.2 release
manager? Or simply prodding for volunteers? If it's the former are you
at all worried about burn-out from doing two release so close together
and being on the hook for two point releases at roughly the same time
for about two years after?

> Are we still planning to make 3.3 the main development focus and start
> the 5 years of 2.x maintenance after this release?

I think so. As Jean-Paul somewhat pointed out the decision can change,
but at this point I know I am willing to say that I don't want to have
to port to four branches anymore if I don't need to.

> Additionally, I'm very apprehensive about doing any kind of release
> without the buildbots running. Does anyone know when they might be up?

I don't know the answer, but it might be "never". We used to do
releases without them, so it's not impossible. Just means you have to
really push the alphas, betas, and RCs.

Titus Brown is actually working on a buildbot alternative that's more
volunteer-friendly (pony-build). Hopefully that will be up and going
by then so we can contemplate using that.

-Brett