[Python-Dev] help required

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Fri Sep 25 21:36:44 CEST 2009

waqas ahmad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I dont know it is the right place to post this question. I need help to
> change one search code line . can you help me please.
>
> here is my search method code:
>
> search=re.compile("^#acl InternationalGroup.*\n", re.M).search(pagetext)
>     if search:
>         ret=search.group()
>

> here i am searching for "#acl InternationalGroup" in the pageText and
> when it true is then give me search group.
>

> I want to change this for following requirement:
>
> I want to search  for "#acl InternationalGroup" and  "CatInternational"
> in the pageText.
> when "#acl InternationalGroup" is not there but "CatInternational" is
> there. then return me search group.
>
> I shall be thankful to you for any help.

I'm not clear whether you want the search to succeed if pageText
contains either, or if pageText contains "CatInternational" but not
"#acl InternationalGroup".

Whichever you want, you could use 2 simple separate regular expressions
or 1 more complicated regular expression.

Search for either:

search = re.compile("^#acl InternationalGroup.*\n", re.M).search(pagetext)
if not search:
     search = re.compile("^CatInternational.*\n", re.M).search(pagetext)
if search:
     ret = search.group()

Search for one but not the other:

search = re.compile("^CatInternational.*\n", re.M).search(pagetext)
if search:
     search_2 = re.compile("^#acl InternationalGroup.*\n",
re.M).search(pagetext)
     if not search_2:
         ret = search.group()